The silent generation, baby boomers, generation-X, generation-Y, xennials, millennials, generation-Z – no matter when you were born there’s a nifty little age-group you can be bundled into, but what does it mean for online marketers? Well, it turns out a lot. Understanding how different generations interact with technology is essential to any organisations marketing strategy, and right now there are three groups you need to tailor your campaigns to.
- Baby Boomers
But remember, don’t be too wordy! All generations agree 300 words is the sweet spot for article length - just like this one ;) Baby Boomers Aged 55+
They might be getting older, but this cashed up generation is surprisingly tech savvy: they watch Netflix, own smartphones, listen to podcasts, shop online, and use social media. Key facts:
Generation-X Aged 35-54
- 74% of Boomers own smartphones
- One-in-four Boomers read a digital magazine
- Half a million Boomers watch Netflix
- One-fifth are heavy internet users, spending more than 20 hours online each week.
Sandwiched between cashed up boomers and digital native millennials, Xers, are often forgotten – but this generation spends more time online than any other. Key facts:
Millennials Aged 18-34
- Email marketing works, Xers are constantly checking email across devices.
- Xers are the most likely to get news from websites or apps.
- 70% of Xers will purchase from a brand they follow on social media.
- Half of Xers use their phone to search for a better price when shopping at a retail store.
More and more millennials are entering the work force and as their buying power grows businesses are tailoring their message to them. Key facts:
- Only 27% of millennials follow the news, compared with 46% of Xers, and 61% of Boomers.
- Millennials are twice as likely as other generations to turn to social to communicate with a brand.
- 38% of millennials follow brands on social media for entertainment value.
- 90% of millennials research product reviews online before making a purchase.
A tailored approach across channels is necessary. You should know who you're talking to.
Let's Get Started
ClickedOn are always here to help if you have any questions around digital marketing.
Call us on (02) 8386 7500
Email us at email@example.com
Fill in our client questionnaire
to see how we can assist you achieve your business goals.